An "iridescent scream"

PunishmentPunishment by Nancy Miller Gomez
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Whenever I begin to read a collection of poetry, I hope for that feeling of a wind in my chest, that the “top if my head is taken off.” This small collection by Nancy Miller Gomez did that for me.

At only 9 poems and 2 short autobiographical prose pieces, “Punishment” has more power than many other, much longer collections. Gomez has translated her experiences teaching poetry in prison into vital, living verse, without in any way betraying or making maudlin the essential reality of those incarcerated.

Her poetry flares with beautiful imagery:

“The iridescent scream of a sharp-shinned hawk/circling somewhere in the pastel wash/of afternoon air.”

“Or heartache—the darkening hurt/that feels like all the colors crushed/into the one you see shimmering/when you close your eyes.”

“...an unexpected hole/in the sky where the moon has moved on.”

It is heartening to read as the prisoners “gather these images like kindling/to try to ignite the darkness.”

I heartily recommend this chapbook.

View all my reviews

Comments